Incredible Places | Made For The Media Interpretive Tools Follow Us on FacebookFollow Us on TwitterFollow Us on YouTube

Connecting Youth To The Outdoors

Animals and Safety

Home Forums Breaking Barriers to Wilderness Access Animals and Safety

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Amy Seidman Amy Seidman 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Amy Seidman
    Amy Seidman

What are the common fears and misconceptions of animals in wilderness areas such as lions and bears?.

Profile photo of chipbuster
    chipbuster

Common misconceptions of bears basically start from what we see and hear in about them from popular culture: everyone knows that bears eat honey or salmon, hibernate, can’t climb trees, and spend their time mauling tourists or doing other bear things. Pretty much all of it is false.

A lot of fear also stems from reading news stories. Quite honestly, if I’d never seen a bear before and I only read stories like this one and this one , I’d be pretty darn scared of being eaten by a bear. It’s not until you encounter American Black Bears a few times that you realize that the threat really is never as big as the media makes it out to be. I guess that’s what a lot of this is about, huh?

EDIT: I’ve forgotten how to make hyperlinks in HTML 🙁 11/15 22:05
    EDIT2: Aaaaand I did it again….. 11/15 22:07.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of chipbuster chipbuster.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of chipbuster chipbuster.
    Amy Seidman

It is a good idea when encountering a bear in the wilderness, especially a cub, to make yourself known and leave immediately.

You can learn more about what do do to protect bears, as well as your food and your camp here: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bearfacts.htm.

Amy Seidman

Feeding animals is another topic we should consider. Giving them food actually inhibits their survival as it causes them to become dependent on us and seek food sources from places other than their natural habitat.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.